Saturday, July 10, 2010

Changes

I have been really really frustrated lately with my eating. I am sick of the prednisone. Sick of feeling like I haven't eaten in months. Waking up in the middle of the night starving....starving people...around 3:00-3:30. I have limited my early morning risings to the bedroom. I can't let myself leave it or I eat. And eat! And I have been eating supper again with the family. Not my diet foods. That has good points and bad points. More salt, I am sure. But there's something about everyone eating the same thing that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! While I am frustrated with the weight moving up the scale (just a weee bit) I am forced to think about the positive chagnes that have come about in my life in the last 6 months. Yes, I will get back on my diet. I will take my supplements and eat my special food-just not now. (I think it would be pointless and a total waste of money with the meds in me like they are).  Now to the positive things that have come  about since February 17!

I eat less processed foods. Still not cooking much with things from a can such as cream of soups. Or chicken broth.

I eat more fruit. I discovered I love cherries. I buy them frozen in the bag and thaw them. Yummo! Remember all those strawberries I froze a couple of weeks ago? I'll blend them with sprite zero for a tasy snack!

I read labels.

I put things back on the store shelf if I can't pronounce the ingredients or don't like what I read on the labels.

I have discovered 900+ways to cook zuchinni and mushrooms....my veggies of choice. Even before the summer that was my veggies.....broil the zuchinni and cook the mushrooms in a little real butter. Now I have a plethora (there's your word, Gina!) of ways to cook them, most with little fat. (just a little bit of real butter!)

I eat whole wheat. Period. I have learned the white flour causes me to feel horrible. Even a little bit does it. No more flour tortillas. Even when we eat at Hernandez I order something with corn tortillas now. Hamburger buns are off limits. They make me feel HORRIBLE. I know, weird.....

Brown rice is wonderful and tastes jus tlike white rice. Try it! Whole wheat spaghetti ain't bad either!

Balsamic vinegar stinks a little but add alot of flavor. It's good on chicken or fruit that is grilled. (peaches)

I walk and I walk and I walk. And I am faster than last year. Much faster. I can walk with the fast ladies now at the track!

I do physical labor outside when I get home from walking. Moving those rocks or chunks of cement has been great for me. I also like push mowing. Something about using those 'bigger' muscles. We use this therapy with some kids and it works....it really works!

I have learned I can live with a few pair of capris, 2 skirts and some tops. I don't need a closet full of clothes. I wear the same ones over and over anyway! :)

Going to bed keeps me from eating when I am hungry at night. Sometimes I turn in at 9. Hey, it works!

A cheesestick is ENOUGH for me for breakfast. It's the protein....sometimes I have a (as in one) scambled egg.

Eating every couple of hours helps keep my sugars up and keeps them from jumping around all day. I try to eat fresh fruit or frozen fruit for the mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. (Lately this hasn't been happening, but I am working on it!)

Water. Water. Water. I drink lots of water. That's about all I drink along with unsweetened tea. I nkow I can't believe I drink unsweetened tea, either.

I like the way my body looks. Like, not love. I am working on this. Still would like to lose a little more. (But who wouldn't?????)

I have learned that I LOVE Hummus! I have been buying it at the store (preservative free) but want to try making it this week when I get some tahini sauce. It's great with fresh veggies. I want to try it with some fresh jicama but am pretty scared! ( I have no idea why)

If I keep junk food in the  house I eat it. Therefore I don't buy it-since I am the chief grocery shopper. I have to remind myself of this when I am shopping. Over and over again.

Yes, I have 'used' the girls and Coy to keep me in check when we have to eat out. I have heard. Is that on your diet? SOOOOO many times! Sometimes it stops me, sometimes it doesn't!

I take fresh fruit with me in the car. I bag it when we get home then grab it to go when I know it will be awhile before I can get something good to eat. (I'll do this Monday when I take Grace to Children's.)

I eat less at night when Coy is sitting in here with me. When he goes to the computer I o to the kitchen....hummm I see a pattern here...need to work on this one!

I feel better. I laugh more. I love more.

~~Laurie































 

No comments:

Post a Comment